Los Angeles Accident Info

After a Los Angeles Car Accident

Reporting an Accident:

  • If there are injuries: Call 911.
  • If there are no injuries: Call 1-877-ASK-LAPD (1-877-275-5273)
  • Only text when you CAN’T call (if you are deaf or in danger): Text 911.

Do I move my car?

Move your vehicle off the street or highway if no one is injured or killed. If you do not move your vehicle or have it removed from the street or highway, any peace officer or authorized personnel may have your vehicle removed and impounded. (CA Vehicle Code 22651).

Are the police coming?

In general, LAPD will only respond to an accident scene when there are injuries, damage to City of LA property, an intoxicated driver or a party unwilling to exchange insurance information.


According to the California DMV, you should document:

  • Driver’s date of birth.
  • Driver’s license number and state.
  • Driver’s name and address.
  • Vehicle license plate number and state.
  • Driver’s insurance company name.
  • Insurance policy number and expiration date.
  • Policy holder’s name and address.
  • Vehicle owner’s name and address.
  • Injuries or property damage.

In addition, if it is safe to do so, you may want to take pictures and locate witness information.

Frequently Asked Questions