Insurance Issues in Multi-Car Accidents in Sherman Oaks
Many accidents involve multiple vehicles, especially during rush hour and bad weather. Unfortunately, these crashes often involve more serious injuries and significant financial exposure for insurance companies. One such accident involving at least four vehicles recently occurred on the 101 in Sherman Oaks. Six people were injured, including a man who lost his leg in the crash. The liability issues can get confusing quickly in these types of accidents, especially if nobody admits to being at fault.
Proving fault in a multi-car accident is critical for purposes of the adjustment of claims and the resolution of disputes. That’s because the person who is determined to be at fault for the accident has a legal duty to compensate anybody who was injured in it for the damages that they suffered. In a rear-end three car crash, when the last car hit the middle car and pushed it into the first car, 100% of the liability might be attributable to that last car. Many cases aren’t that east though. Here are some of the factors that lawyers and insurance adjusters might consider in more complicated accidents:
- Whether any traffic laws were violated, and tickets issued along with their dispositions.
- The location of the accident.
- The traffic and weather conditions, and whether a driver was traveling too fast for those conditions, regardless of the speed limit.
- Whether a vehicle was turning left.
- Information contained in the police accident report, including the statements of the drivers and any eyewitnesses.
- Whether there were any traffic or surveillance cameras showing the location.
- Any records of damage to the vehicles.
- Information from any onboard data recorders.
Contact a Sherman Oaks Accident Lawyer.
If you were seriously injured in a multiple vehicle crash, or a family member died as a result the injuries that he or she suffered in one, contact our offices to arrange for a free consultation and case evaluation. Significant liability issues need to be addressed. Everybody is going to be pointing their finger at everybody else. Don’t even talk with an insurance company other than your own before you talk with us first. You’ll be in need of an experienced, effective and aggressive Sherman Oaks car accident lawyer to resolve all of the liability issues involving your personal injury or wrongful death claim.